Mickelgate Bar, York City Walls
Taking its name from Mykill (Great) and Gata (Street) Micklegate Bar is the prestigious entrance to within the City Walls at which important guests from London and the Monarchy would be met and welcomed into the city.
Erected between 1196 – 1230 on older foundations the original 12th Century structure was a two-storey stone gatehouse which in the 14th Century was extended up two storeys, topped with bartizans and also had the now-removed barbican and portcullis added.
The interior of Micklegate Bar was renewed and beautified in 1716-1737, had the barbican removed in 1816 and was completely restored in 1952.
Micklegate Bar is famous for displaying the skewered heads of rebels and traitors above the gate as a warning to others. These were a regular fixture with the longest being up there for 9 year. The last one to be displayed was removed in 1754.
The Coats of Arms on Micklegate Bar belong to King Edward III and also the Lord Mayor of York in 1737, when the original restoration as completed.
Originally the top to storeys were let out as accommodation but today the house a museum dedicated to the history of the bar and the city itself which was refurbished and reopened in 2010.