Bootham Bar, York City Walls
Located on a site that has had a gateway into York since 71AD the current three storey stone tower replaced an original and much smaller wooden structure built by the Romans to give access to Principia, the Roman Headquarters.
Bootham Bar contains some stonework from as early as the 11th Century, such as the main archway, although the majority is from the 14th when it was heightened to add a portcullis which although no longer working is still housed in the tower which you can access and see.
It was the last of the Bars to lose its defensive barbican in 1831 and fortunately managed to avoid complete demolition in 1832 due to strong public opposition. Thankfully in 1834 work was started on repairing the bar to bring it up to its current standard.
Bootham bar is topped by three statues which were added in 1894 to replace the rather weathered medieval originals. From left to right there is a stone mason holding a model of the bar, 14th Century Mayor Nicholas Langton and a Knight carrying a sword and shield.
Like Micklegate Bar, Bootham Bar was also known to have displayed the decapitated heads of traitors as a warning to others.